Monday, October 25, 2010

Dylan Revisited

Last week, I discussed some mis-learned lyrics from my childhood. I generally compare my making up of words that sound similar to what's being sung because I can't figure out what's REALLY being sung to Bob Dylan or even Mick Jagger. "Get Off of My Cloud" is my favorite example of this. NO ONE knows the words to that song. Even my dad, who knows the words to almost everything, does the whole "I bih ni a pah mih on a ni bi ni fo my bah!" thing. (By the way, googling results say the first line, which I just sang for you there is actually "Well I live in an apartment on the 99th floor of my block," though I'm not sure even the Stones knew that's what the words were supposed to be.)

I knew, while writing last week, that there were probably close to a hundred songs for which I have some form of made-up words, but at the time, I couldn't come up with many examples of my own stupidity. This weekend, however, I was running some errands, and I kept hearing songs to which I knew my words weren't right. It was like the radio station had a playlist called "Songs for Which Leslie has Made Up Words". So I kept notes.

Ready to learn some VERY valuable facts today?

Leslie's Version:
Now review quick!
Now we're sharing the same dream!
And her heart said be there at one!
No more love on the run!

Reality:

Carribean Queen,
Now we're sharing the same dream!
And our hearts, they beat as one.
No more love on the run.

*At least I got SOME of them right, I guess.*

Leslie's Version:

Blinded by the light!
Wrapped up like a douche,
another roller in the night!

Reality:
Blinded by the light!
Revved up like a deuce,
another runner in the night

*I'd like to reiterate that I do UNDERSTAND that my false lyrics make NO SENSE. It's just about the sounds to me. Let's be honest. Sometimes the real lyrics don't make much more sense.*

Leslie's Version:
Gonna take alot to drag me away from you!
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do!
I blessed the rains down in Africa!
Gonna take some time to do the things we never have.

Reality:
It's gonna take alot to take me away from you!
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do!
I bless the rains down in Africa.
Gonna take some time to do the things we never have.

*I must say I'm flummoxed over this one. I was actually right - almost exactly. I thought for sure my version was at least a little ridiculous. I guess every dog gets a bone occassionally.*

Leslie's Version:
Sheri don't like it.
Rock the cash box!
Rock the cash box!

*My mom's name is Sheri, so it's a pretty logical substitution for me for this sound.*

Reality:
Sharif (shareef/sharia in other places) don't like it.
Rockin' the casbah.
Rockin' the casbah.

I guess the biggest lesson I learned today is that many of my ridiculous lyrics aren't that ridiculous. Maybe this is a hidden talent of mine. I wonder how I could cash in on it?

Sing on!

Love & Shipoopies,
Leslie

2 comments:

Camily said...

Oh yay! This is what I tried to comment on from my phone and it wouldn't let me!
I, too, sing the "douche" version (and I actually think that is what he's singing, too, he just won't admit it).
Love it!
And--here is my version of Aretha Franklin's "Pink Cadillac."
My version:
City Traffic's goin' way to slow
Drop your pants and let's go
Aretha's Version:
City traffic's movin' way to slow
Drop the pedal lets go

Hee hee

Myya said...

I love that you are doing comparisions because seriously we all sing songs wrong! I guess in this day & age we could just go look up the lyrics & sing it correctly But that wouldn't be any fun would it :)