Monday, September 27, 2010

MY Monday!!!


She's two. She's VERY into...umm...let's call it ownership. My mom is NOT my mom. She's T's "MY Nana!" He's not my dad. He's T's "MY Poppa!" "MY Daddy. MY Uli. MY Bear. MY milk. MY blankie." You get the picture. The minute she's acquainted herself with someone/something, it becomes HERS. Make no mistake.
I figure some of it just comes with two year old territory and I'm sure some of it comes from having to hold her own in a room full of two-year-olds daily at daycare. But I think some of it is truly just trying to figure out who she is, who we are, how those are different, and sometimes just what's the difference between the words "yours" and "mine".
Last night, however, we crossed my favorite all time declaration of ownership from my dear two year old.
We were reading a set of books given to her by "MY Uli" about Rip Squeak and his friends. (They are magical and almost inspire me to try my hand at writing a children's book.) Rip Squeak is a boy mouse. His sister is Jesse and they befriend the house kitten named Abby. Then comes this delightful frog who is an actor in the theater and teaches them many magical life lessons. His name is Euripedes.
We're reading along, and every once in a while, I'd say, 'What's his name?" and point to a character (just working on memory). Sometimes she'd get it right and sometimes I'd get, "I don't know dis one's name."
"Who is this one, Tucker?"
"I don't know dis one's name."
"That's Euripides."
"MY Ripides!!!!! That's MY Ripides, mommy."
Well, I DID say, "Your Ripides". ;-)
Love, Shipoopies, and wishes for a good week to you all,
Leslie

1 comment:

Myya said...

That is adorable! One of my sisters lives in Miami & my middle one at 1 & 1/2 would say UrAmi. Too funny!